Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions
We want you to use our APIs and Code Snippets to enhance the products and services you can offer your customers. To make it as easy as possible for you to do business with us, we want to tell you about the Terms that will apply when you do so.
In these Terms, ‘we’ means New Zealand Post Limited, its Related Companies, successors and assigns. “Our” and “us” have a corresponding meaning.
General Terms - NZ Post APIs & Code Snippets
A. Applicability of these Terms
- These Terms apply to your access to and use of our API and Code Snippets. These Terms are made up of our General Terms (which are consistent across all our APIs and Code Snippets) and Specific Terms (which apply only to the API or Code Snippet that you will be using), each as updated from time to time.
- By using or applying to use our API and/or Code Snippets, you agree to be bound by these Terms and to use them solely in accordance with these Terms. If you do not accept our Terms, then you must not access or use our API and/or Code Snippets.
- These Terms will apply from the earlier of the date upon which you agree to these Terms or the date upon which you use our APIs and/or Snippet Codes and will continue until you stop using our API or Code Snippets, we terminate your access to the API or Code Snippet, or this agreement is terminated.
B. Application to access our API & Code Snippets
- Access to our APIs is through the Developer Portals or through any API Store on which they are offered. Access to our Code Snippets is through the Developer Portals. Both are subject to you having a valid NZ Post account.
- We may accept or decline your application to use the API and/or Code Snippet in our sole discretion, including for any reasons set out in the Specific Terms.
- If obtaining our API from an App Store, NZ Post is solely responsible for the API and the proprietor of the App Store (i) is not liable for any fault in the API or any harm that may result from its installation or use; and (ii) cannot provide assistance with the installation or use of the API. Subject to these terms, NZ Post is solely responsible for any liability which may arise from your access to or use of the API, including development, use, marketing, support or distribution of or access to the API, and our access, use, distribution or storage of your data.
- To access the Developer Portals, you must sign up as a user on our website nzpost.co.nz. To access and use our API or Code Snippets, you to need to apply for a Key through the Developer Portals. All information in your application must be accurate, up-to-date, true and not misleading in any way and we may immediately terminate your access to our API(s) and/or Code Snippets if you breach this clause. We may request more information from you in relation to an application for a Key to allow us to make a decision.
- If we issue a Key to you, you must: a. keep that Key secure; b. authorise and secure user access to the use of the API and/or Code Snippets, managing those users - including each individual’s login and password detail; and c. only use the Key for the Application for which the Key has been issued.
- A Key can be used by an Application to consume multiple APIs. You must not use a Key for more than one Application. You must apply for a different Key for each different Application that you want to consume the API.
C. Use of our API and/or Code Snippets
- Once we issue you with a Key for our API and/or Code Snippets, or you have obtained the API through an App Store, you are granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, terminable, limited licence to use the API and/or Code Snippets for the Purpose (as described in the Specific Terms).
- You must not use or access our API and/or Code Snippet for any purpose other than the Purpose.
- You must perform user acceptance testing of the API against any acceptance criteria notified to you (as applicable). You are deemed to have accepted the API upon going into a production environment.
- If you use our API and/or Code Snippet to enhance a service offered to your customers, you must ensure you operate that service:
a. lawfully and ethically; and
b. in a manner that does not damage or adversely affect our reputation or the reputation of the API, the Code Snippet or our services.
- We may review our API, Code Snippets and the Data regularly and we may modify, replace or upgrade them at any time, at our discretion (Modification). We have no liability to you for any Modification we make. You will apply any upgrades we make to the API and/or Code Snippets within the timeframe as notified.
- You acknowledge that the API will not always be available. The API will be the subject of repair, maintenance and upgrade in accordance with a maintenance schedule, but may also not always be available where unscheduled and/or emergency work is being carried out.
- You may discontinue use of our API and/or Code Snippet following a Modification. Your continued use of the API and/or Code Snippet following a Modification will be deemed acceptance of that Modification.
- Any Data is supplied on an “as is” basis, without warranties of any kind, and your use of the Data is at your sole risk.
- We reserve the right to change the Data at any time.
- You must not, and you must ensure that your customers do not:
a. use or access the Developer Portals, the API or the Code Snippets other than in accordance with the Purpose and these Terms;
b. use or access the Developer Portals or the API for the purpose of carrying out, or enabling a third party to carry out, batch cleansing of records;
c. use or access the Developer Portals or the API for the purpose of productising or commercialising those elements to use or make available a competing service;
d. use or access the Developer Portals, the API or the Data for any illegal, misleading, immoral, defamatory or unethical purposes, in any way that breaches the rights of any person;
e. do anything that would in any way (in our opinion) damage or adversely impact our reputation in any way;
f. use or access any software, systems, Data or materials under or in connection with these Terms other than as expressly permitted under these Terms;
g. copy, modify or reverse engineer any software used by us or our licensors;
h. damage, disrupt or interfere with the Developer Portals, the API, the Data or any other software or systems used by us or our licensors;
i. copy, reproduce, publish, sell, let, modify license, extract or otherwise part with possession of the whole or any part of the Developer Portals, the API, the Data or the Code Snippets or relay or disseminate the same to any third party, other than as expressly permitted by these Terms;
j. ensure that no malicious software or other computer software or programming code that could disrupt, impair, disable or otherwise adversely affect, all or any part of the Developer Portals or the API is introduced into any systems used by us or our third party suppliers; or
k. use our API to copy, scrape or store any Data from our website or systems.
- You must, and must ensure that your customers:
a. ensure that the security and privacy of the API, the Code Snippets and the Data is protected to the greatest extent practicable;
b. comply with all reasonable security requirements that we notify to you from time to time; and
c. limit use of, and access to, the API, the Code Snippets and the Data to those persons authorised by you to use and access the API and the Data.
- We will track your use of our API, Code Snippets and the Data in order to identify any use of the API, Code Snippets and the Data outside of the permitted uses set out in these Terms.
G. Intellectual property, confidentiality and privacy
- We own or license from a third party, all rights, title and interest, including Intellectual Property Rights, in and to:
a. the API, the Code Snippets and the Data;
b. all other software and systems used by us and our licensors in connection with the API, the Code Snippets and the Data; and
c. any other documents or materials you access through the API or under these Terms.
- While you may use your own trade marks on the version of the service that you provide using the API or the Code Snippets, you must:
a. not use or refer to any of our trade marks, business names or logos without our express written approval;
b. comply with all guidelines and requirements issued by us regarding use of or reference to any of our trademarks or logos;
c. not remove or tamper with any logos, business names or trademarks, or disclaimer or copyright notice attached to or used in relation to the API, the Code Snippets, the Data or our services.
d. not promote or provide any goods or services in a way which is misleading, deceptive or which suggests the goods or services are provided, endorsed by, or in any way affiliated with us; and
e. not make any statement or claim relating to the Data being approved, recommended or endorsed by us, except as approved by us in writing.
- Information we have collected (and will collect while providing services to you) will be held and used to provide services to you and for credit management and control purposes and may be disclosed to other people for these purposes. We may also use the information collected to send you information about our business or services or those offered by others which we think might be of interest to you.
- Neither of us may use the other’s Confidential Information except as set out in these Terms, in furtherance of the Purpose. Neither of us will disclose, nor allow to be disclosed to any third party, any Confidential Information of the other, unless required by law, any continuous disclosure obligations on state-owned enterprises, where agreed in writing or where publicly available through no fault of the disclosing party.
H. Termination and Suspension
- Either you or we may terminate the agreement formed by these Terms, your access to the API and/or Code Snippets provided under these Terms and access to any other APIs and/Code Snippets at any time on 30 days’ written notice to the other party.
- We may suspend or disable your login, with or without notice, if we become aware of or reasonably suspect that:
a. any unauthorised access or other incident has occurred or may occur that threatens or may threaten the security or integrity of the API in whole or in part; or
b. there has been a breach of the Intellectual Property, Privacy and Confidentiality provisions (Section G) of these terms or a person has obtained or has sought to obtain access to our Confidential Information where not permitted by the terms of this Agreement.
- We may immediately terminate the agreement formed by these Terms, your access to the API and/or Code Snippets provided under these Terms and access to any other APIs and/Code Snippets, by giving written notice to you if:
a. you (or your customer) breaches these Terms and that breach cannot be remedied within 20 days of you receiving notice specifying the nature of that breach and requiring it to be remedied;
b. you cease or threaten to cease to carry on all or substantially all of your business or operations, are declared or becomes bankrupt or insolvent, are unable to pay your debts as they fall due, enter into a general assignment of your indebtedness or a scheme of arrangement or composition with your creditors, have a liquidator, receiver or manager appointed in respect of any of your assets or take or suffer any similar or analogous action in consequence of debt; or
c. we are no longer permitted by our licensors to provide any component of the API or the Data.
- On termination of the agreement formed by these Terms for any reason or your access to the API and/or Code Snippet in respect of one or more Applications for any reason:
a. you must cease, and you must ensure that your customers cease, all use of and access to the API, the Data and/or the Code Snippet in respect of the relevant Applications;
b. you must cease using and delete all Keys in your possession or control in respect of the relevant Applications; and
c. we will cancel your Key (if any) and stop your access to the API and/or Code Snippet, in respect of the relevant Applications.
- On termination, those clauses of these Terms which by their nature are intended to survive termination, will continue to apply.
I. Warranties and liability
- To the maximum extent permitted by law, we exclude all warranties, representations and conditions in relation to the Developer Portals, the API, the Code Snippets and the Data, and the availability of the Developer Portals, the API, the Code Snippets and the Data (whether express or implied), including any warranties of availability, merchantability, fitness for purpose or non-infringement.
- In particular, you acknowledge that we do not warrant or represent that the Developer Portals, the API, the Code Snippets or the Data will operate without interruption, will be free of errors, omissions and inaccuracies, viruses or other destructive code or that it will meet your or your customers’ requirements or that all errors or omissions can or will be corrected.
- You acknowledge that you are using and accessing the API, the Code Snippets and Data for the purposes of a business and that the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 does not apply.
- You warrant and represent that you have the full power and authority to enter into these Terms, that you will comply with the provisions of this agreement and that your obligations under this agreement are valid, binding and enforceable.
- To the maximum extent permitted by law, we exclude all liability to you, your customers and any third party for any loss, damage, cost or expense suffered or incurred by you or them arising directly or indirectly from your use of, or access to, the Developer Portals, the API, the Code Snippets, the Data or otherwise arising in connection with these Terms, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), statute or otherwise - even if we have been advised of the possibility of such loss, damage, cost or expense.
- If we are liable to you or any third party under or in connection with these Terms for any reason, our maximum aggregate liability, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), statute or otherwise, is limited to the greater of $100 and the total fees you paid us under these Terms in the 12 months preceding the date on which our liability first arose.
- You indemnify us from and against any claim, proceeding, damage, liability, loss, cost or expense (including legal costs on a solicitor and own client basis), whether arising in contract, tort (including for negligence), statute or otherwise, arising out of or in connection with you or your customer’s, use act or omission in relation to these Terms, the Developer Portals, the API, the Code Snippers and/or the Data.
- You must and you must ensure that your customers:
a. comply with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1993 and any other applicable law or regulations relevant to the possession or use of the API, the Code Snippets or the Data;
b. ensure that all use of the Data is consistent with our registration under the Postal Services Act 1998 (and any other legislation or regulations applicable to us);
c. Applications and your use of the Developer Portals, the API, the Code Snippets and the Data complies with all relevant laws; and
d. have obtained all permissions and consents to enable compliance with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007, where email notifications are sent by the API.
- Without limiting any other part of these Terms, we will not be responsible or liable for any failure or delay to perform our obligations due to any cause that is beyond our reasonable control or any failure by you to comply with these Terms.
- You acknowledge that we are not restricted from providing any product or service offering ourselves that may be identical or similar to any product or service offering you provide, including any product or service offering that you provide in relation to the API, the Code Snippet and/or the Data.
- If you provide any feedback on our API, Code Snippets or our services or participate in any forum relating to our API our Code Snippets, you agree that we may use your suggestions, comments or other feedback in providing and improving the API, Code Snippets and services we offer.
- You may not transfer, assign or sub-contract any of your rights or obligations under these Terms without our prior written consent. You remain liable for the performance of your obligations under these Terms despite any approved sub-contracting, assignment, or transfer.
- If you are an organisation (whether incorporated or unincorporated) and your employees, contractors or agents are accessing or using the API or Code Snippets on your behalf, you must ensure that they are aware of and comply with these Terms. You will be liable for all acts and omissions of any person who accesses the API or Code Snippets on your behalf, or who accesses the API or Code Snippets using your Key.
- Each notice or other communication under these Terms must be in writing and be made by email, personal delivery or by post to the relevant addressee or, in the case of notices given by us, may be given by posting the notice on our website: https://www.nzpost.co.nz/business/developer-centre. If a notice communication is given by email, personal delivery or post it is deemed to be received by the addressee: a. in the case of an email, on receipt of transmission on the working day on which it is dispatched or, if it is dispatched after 5.00pm (in the place of receipt) or on a non-working day, then on the next working day after the date of dispatch; b. in the case of personal delivery, when delivered; and c. in the case of a letter, on the third working day after posting.
- No failure or delay by either of us to exercise any right or remedy under these Terms will be construed or operate as a waiver of such right or remedy, nor will any single or partial exercise of any right or remedy preclude the further exercise of such right or remedy. No waiver will be effective unless in writing and signed by the relevant party.
- If any provision of these Terms is held invalid, unenforceable or illegal for any reason, our agreement with you will remain otherwise in full force apart from such provisions, which will be deemed deleted.
- We can amend or replace these Terms at any time by making the amended or new Terms available through the Developer Portals. If you use or access the API or Code Snippets after the Terms have been amended or replaced, your use or access will be deemed as your acceptance of the amended or new Terms.
- These Terms are governed by the laws of New Zealand and you and we submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the New Zealand Courts.
- For the purposes of these Terms (unless the context otherwise requires):
- Application means your application that consumes, or that you intend will consume, the API;
- App Store means an online portal on which we have listed our APIs for sale or use by you;
- API means our Application Program Interface;
- Code Snippets means our snippets of code;
- Confidential Information includes all information concerning our own and your organisation, relating to or produced or used in connection with the performance of this agreement and which is marked confidential or by its nature confidential.
- Data means any data that we provide or make available to you and/or your customers under these Terms or through the API;
- Developer Portals means our API Developer Portals: https://anypoint.mulesoft.com/exchange/portals/nz-post-group/ and https://www.nzpost.co.nz/business/developer-resource-centre
- Intellectual Property Rights means any copyright, patent, trademark, design right, trade secret, eligible layout, or other industrial or intellectual property right.
- Key means a software token requiring per-session activation (with a client-id and client-secret in accordance with OAuth 2.0 standard) that we issue to you through the Developer Portals to enable you to access our APIs.
- Modification has the meaning given in clause D5;
- Purpose means the specific purpose for the API or Code Snippet as defined in the Specific Terms.;
- Related Companies has the meaning as defined in section 2(3) of the Companies Act 1993;
- You means the person or entity using the API, and “your” has a corresponding meaning.
Specific Terms – NZ Post CollectionAddress API
A. Applicability of these Terms
- These Specific Terms, and our General Terms, together form the agreement with you to provide the NZ Post CollectionAddress API. The current version of the Specific Terms applies whenever you use the NZ Post CollectionAddress API.
- If the Specific Terms are not consistent with the General Terms, the Specific Terms have precedence for the NZ Post CollectionAddress API.
B. Application to access our API
- You are required to send a volume of parcels (as determined by us in our sole discretion) through our network in order to use our CollectionAddress API.
- You will not be provided with access to and use of our API if you do not meet the required parcel volume.
- We may monitor your parcel volumes to ensure that you continue to meet the requisite volumes.
- We do not currently charge for access and use of our API. If we decide to charge for use of our API, we will give you at least 30 days’ prior written notice.
- If you are charged for the commercial use of the API, the provisions of our Business Account General Terms (found at https://www.nzpost.co.nz/business/business-account/general-terms) with regard to invoicing and payment shall apply, unless we have agreed otherwise in writing.
- If you, your business units or any of your Related Companies use the API, we may at our discretion aggregate the Charges for you, your business units and your subsidiaries into one invoice.
- You must not, and you must ensure that your customers do not:
a. use or access the API or the Data other than in accordance with the Purpose and these Terms;
b. use or access the API or the Data for the purpose of carrying out, or enabling a third party to carry out, batch cleansing of records;
c. use or access the API or the Data for the purpose of productising or commercialising those elements to use or make available a competing service;
d. use or access the API or the Data for any illegal, immoral, defamatory or unethical purposes, or in any way that breaches the rights of any person;
e. use or access any software, systems, Data or materials under or in connection with these Terms other than those you are expressly permitted to use and access under these Terms;
f. copy, modify or reverse engineer any software used by us or our licensors;
g. licence, sub-licence or re-sell the Data;
h. damage, disrupt or interfere with the API, the Data or any other software or systems used by us or our licensors; or
i. copy, reproduce, publish, sell, let, modify, extract or otherwise part with possession of the whole or any part of the API or the Data or relay or disseminate the same to any third party, other than as expressly permitted by these Terms.
- You must, and must ensure that your customers who use your services:
a. comply with all reasonable security requirements that we notify to you from time to time; and
b. limit use of, and access to, the API and the Data to those persons authorised by you to use and access the API and the Data.
- Without limiting clause 11 of the General Terms, you must not use our API to:
a. copy, scrape or store any Data from our website or systems; or
b. re- sell or sub-license all or any part of the Data, or any service using that Data, to any person, or purport or attempt to do.
- Without limiting clause 11 of the General Terms, you may only use the API and the Data for an application on a public-facing e-commerce website for the purpose of facilitating accurate delivery address information for parcels being sent by the e-commerce provider.
- Without limiting clause 11 of the General Terms, you must not use for:
a. parcels that are heavier than 15kg;
b. parcels that are greater than 50cm x 40cm x 30cm cm in dimension;
c. parcels that are damaged or not packaged correctly;
d. dangerous goods or prohibited items.
- You acknowledge there may be some delivery address data where age restricted items cannot be delivered.
- We may immediately terminate your access to the API in respect of one or more Applications by giving written notice to you if:
a. we have notified you of the minimum volume of parcels that we expect you to send through our network in order for you to be provided with a Key(s) for the API; and
b. the volume of parcels you are sending through our network falls below that volume.
- For the purposes of these Specific Terms (unless the context otherwise requires):
- Purpose means to receive data that enables type-ahead addressing for Domestic and International addresses, including NZ Post validated addresses for NZ deliveries and Parcel Collect locations.